Sunday 10 February 2019

Whoa, Tim has his own definition of ‘deaf community.’



So, some people were saying to me recently that not all deaf people identify as members of the deaf community. That seems like a bit of an oxymoron, doesn’t it? How can you be deaf, but not a member of the deaf community? I’m not going to pretend I don’t know what they mean, though - they mean ‘deaf community’ equals ‘culturally deaf,’ with a little collection of exclusive entry requirements. However, we live in a democracy where we all have different opinions. Just because a group of people have unilaterally decided that their bespoke definition of ‘deaf community’ is the one that applies, doesn’t mean that the rest of us have to yield to it. It affects us too. Nor does it mean that the opinions of some deaf people can be picked up and used as a stick to beat down other deaf people. That’s called ‘playing deaf people off against each other.’

It’s true that the words ‘deaf community,’ formerly with a capitalised D, are used by a lot of people in the way described above.

I have a different use of the term and use ‘deaf community’ to refer to all deaf people collectively, however they might choose to identify, because I believe in diversity, interaction and inclusion of the sub-groups within our group. We all share common social norms, even between the most opposite ends of the spectrum; norms such as lip-reading, subtitles, hearing aids. I don’t ‘celebrate our differences,’ I celebrate the things we have in common. Again, there’s no dichotomy, but a spectrum. Deaf culture is much more diverse than some people pretend and all deaf people are culturally deaf. To claim otherwise is to other some deaf people and strip them of their deaf identity.

Although it’s true that not all deaf people identify as members of the ‘deaf community,’ this seems to be because they are simply giving way to the traditional definition of ‘deaf community.’ The discussion began with this idea that on one side there is a group of people who are ‘culturally deaf’ and on the other side, a group who are not. I don’t think it’s nearly so neat a divide. It’s a false dichotomy. In fact, BSL-English interpreters were at pains to insist to me that they have met with, worked with and talked with people who don’t identify as part of the deaf community at about the same time as they mix and work with people who do. But apparently, I’m supposed to pretend that there is some big wall between the groups. I get that these interpreters are being sensitive and respectful to the consensus agreed upon and passed to them by the deaf people that they most closely deal with, but not all of us think the same way.

I completely respect how other deaf people choose to identify, that’s their right. But I refuse to meekly yield to the traditional definition of ‘deaf community’ in the process. That’s my right.

What I am saying is that I see the ‘deaf community’ not as an exclusive group with stringent, narrow entry requirements, but as a broad, diverse and inclusive place where all are welcome. I’ve seen it happen at my local deaf clubs.

Well, that’s how I want to see it. Maybe you’re thinking ‘well, ok, but the deaf people we know tell us that SSE, for example, is an imposition of English on our beautiful language, BSL, and SSE is not a language.’ Things like that. You’re thinking this way because you’re respectful of deaf people. The trouble is that there are some of us who also identify as deaf, but do not tick all the boxes demanded by the picky cultural high command. You don’t get to stick your nose in the air and wave us away with the back of your hand, as if we’re irrelevant second-rate deaf people, whose feelings and experiences don’t count. Some of us would tick all these ‘right’ boxes if it were not for oralism. Oralism is oppression and I for one am not going to let it get in the way of who I am.

And nobody else has the right to let it get in the way of who I am, either. Unless you fancy being known as somebody who colludes in oralist oppression.

I’ll make my own mind up what I consider to be a progressive convention. If you want to try and change my mind about anything, great, but nobody gets to speak over me on things that affect me. That’s the thing about autonomy - everybody has it, even the deaf people who have been snobbishly dismissed as unworthy.

If some deaf people are isolated, then doing things that further isolate them is very wrong, no matter how well-intentioned and right-on you think you are.



No comments: